Tuesday, January 05, 2010

2010 Al Salvato Memorial Frostbite 5 Mile Recap
The Al Salvato Frostibite 5 Mile is held on January 1.  It was named after Al Salvato, an avid runner and supporter of both running and the YMCA.  Al founded the race to raise money for the Campbell County YMCA and was the race director for several years before passing away in 2006 due to complications from Leukemia. It is almost the last 5 mile road race in Greater Cincinnati outside of a few trail races.

The race returned to a later time of 10:30AM but it seemed colder this year.  There were about 240 others who decided to do this year even though it was much colder than 2009. In addition, the local newspaper  was there to cover it.

For a 5 mile race, I thought that registration was reasonably priced. Included in registration was the t-shirt.  It was short sleeve shirt and they did not have my size so I took the largest size that they had. I tend to like races more when purchasing a t-shirt was optional instead of including it in the price.   Since I have so many t-shirts, I wonder when I will wear them all.

The course was the same as the year before.  It seemed like I had personal battle with traffic in the last 2 miles of the course. Once again I had an equipment malfunction(both my shoes came untied in the first mile and I had to stop to tie them before I fell). Post Race featured bananas, and water. For some reason something hot like soup would have been nice probably due to the cold. Since the race venue was the Campbell County YMCA, you could shower after the race if you brought clothes and they did have lockers for your use as well to store your stuff, both underrated and underappreciated features.    2010 Frostbite 5 Mile Results.      

No comments: