A few announcements:
- Flying Pig Fluid Station Update - The Club has a Flying Pig Fluid Station at mile 22. This is one of our largest volunteer opportunities of the year. We need about 10-15 more volunteers; so please volunteer today. Volunteers receive a free t-shirt courtesy of the pig, free food and drink at the waterstop, the chance to socialize with other members in a relaxed informal setting, and the free entertainment value of watching the Mile 22 Fluid Station Captain freak out over what could happen in 2017. The 2008 waterstop dealt with fire, 2009 dealt with no uplifting music(Social Distortion is the last thing you want to hear at mile 22) until the marathon unexpectedly came through with the DJ, 2010 dealt with rain and flooding, 2011 dealt with being struck by lightning. If you're running the full marathon, ask family, friends and coworkers to catch you at "Your water stop - Mile 22" or if you enjoy to watch people suffer, mile 22 is definitely the place to be. You can sign up to volunteer at our website or do the following:
- Go to the Flying Pig Volunteer Registration Page.
- Find and select Runners' Club of Cincinnati from the group list.
- Complete volunteer information.
- Use Runnerclub as the group password when asked near the end of the form.
- Piggest Raffle Update - About 5 days remain for the Piggest Raffle Ever. Sales end at 9 pm on Wednesday, May 3rd. Adopt a pig for $5 for a chance to to win a 2 year lease on a Toyota Prius, $10,000 Cash ($5,000 to the winning ticket holder and $5,000 to the charity who sold the ticket) or a $1500 Cincinnati experience. To help out, select Runners' Club of Greater Cincinnati as the charity at www.piggestraffle.com when you adopt a pig and the club gets a portion of the proceeds. Adopt A Pig.
- Volunteers Needed For RRCA Booth- The Road Runners' Club of America (RRCA) has procured a booth at the 2017 Flying Pig Expo and would like our club to help man it and spread the word about our club and the RRCA. The RRCA provides support for club events like the Memorial Day Race, Labor of Love Run, the Mile Races, and the Cross Country Series. Working the booth is quite easy. You tell people about our club or the RRCA, promote any upcoming events and answer any other questions that they may have about us or the RRCA. Times for the expo are Friday May 5 from noon to 7:00 pm and Saturday May 6 from 10:00 am to 7:00 pm. You do not need to be there the entire time but we do ask that you work at least 3 hours. If you can work the RRCA booth at the Flying Pig expo, send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org about what times you can be there.
Every three hours working the RRCA booth, earns you 10 volunteer points in the RCGC Grand Prix.
- Memorial Day Race 41 - May 29 - Cincinnati's second oldest race behind the Thanksgiving Day Race is back in 2017 for number 41. The Memorial Day Race is at Armleder Park at 9:00 AM on May 29, 2017. Since most runners are swimming in shirts, the club made the Memorial Day Race shirt for 2017 an optional purchase. It will be a regular tshirt for the preregistration price of $8. Get the flier or register online.
- DATE: Monday, May 29, 2017
- TIME: 9:00 AM
- PLACE: Otto Armleder Memorial Park, 5059 Wooster Road, Cincinnati OH
- PREREGISTRATION: $15.00 General Public and $10 Runners' Club Members /Age 21 and Under. Commemorative Memorial Day Race 41 t-shirt available for $8. Preregistration ends Monday May 22 for mail in registrations and May 24 for online registration.
- INFORMATION: Spectator friendly flat USATF certified 5K (3.1 Mile) Course. Real bathrooms. Food, awards, and doorprizes follow the race. Get the flier or register online.
- 2017 RCGC Board Selected - At the Annual Meeting on April 10, the membership of the Runners' Club of Greater Cincinnati in attendance approved the following members to serve on the club's board for 2017:
- President: Todd Hofacre
- Vice President: Stacy Osborne
- Treasurer: Ryan Woolley
- Secretary: Liz Hofacre
- Tom Glasscock
- Michael Guest
- Kila Hanrahan
- Marty Hovey
- James Welland
Special Thank you to our featured speaker Mike Fremont. Mike spoke about his experiences running past his 70's and into his early 90's. He talked about how diet played a huge part in his ability to keep running and beat cancer.
- Board Meeting May 17 - The next RCGC Board Meeting will be held on Wednesday May 17 at The Foot Doctor at 5521 Montgomery Road at 7:30 PM. The meeting is open to all current RCGC members.
We will discuss updates on upcoming races and social events.
Hope you can join us!
- Membership Dues - For most of you, member dues were due in March. Register online or use the mail in form. If you are unsure on whether you are current for 2017, you can check your status online.