Sunday, May 19, 2013

GoOTR 5k Race Recap

The GoOtr 5k is one of the races that I like to do year after year due to running on the streets in Over-the-Rhine which I like doing, the late start compared to other races in the spring, touring through the summer celebration festival held in conjunction with the race, and the low race day registration price that includes a shirt which is much lower than many other races done in downtown Cincinnati. I have run every one of the previous 6 races except for 2011 when I was hurt so I volunteered. The first six started near 13th and Vine in Over-the-Rhine. With the completed renovation of Washington Park, they moved it to Washington Park for 2013 which meant a new course and new issues and logistics to consider.

Since I am a night owl, I have a tendency to be late for the start of many races which is why I like the late start. I got there about 15 minutes (rather than the usual 5 minutes) before they were closing registration. Race Day Registration was $25 which included a shirt. They were out of this year's shirt so they gave me last year's shirt. I should have asked for the volunteer shirt since I thought that they were much nicer than the shirt that runners got but I did not see them until after I ran. They were burnt red and people tell me that I look good in burnt red. I have so many shirts so it was not a big deal to me. Conditions were warm and overcast with temperatures in the mid 60's for the 1000 runners and walkers who decided to do the race.

The course started near 14th and Elm. There was nothing noting a start like balloons or a banner saying start just runners and walkers mulling about which gave me no idea whether I was running up or down Elm Street. We ran down Elm Street by Washington Park and took a left on 12th Street and the course afterward seemed to follow the old course. The mile markers were posted but nobody was reading times. Usually not a big deal except when the battery in your watch dies the day before and you have no idea how fast you are running. The waterstop was a little farther than expected as it was close to the two mile marker. It caused a bottleneck as it was undermanned and runners had to stop if they wanted water. I skipped it, hoping for another table slightly further down. The race finished near 12th and Race. I ran it in about 28.5 minutes but I have to check the results to be sure. Post race was water, and bananas which was all that I saw. The awards at this race are unique in that you get a medal from Rookwood Pottery for being one the top runners overall or in your age group. They only go one deep in the age groups which may disappoint some of the faster runners.

This is still one of my favorite races due to the start time and the course through Over-the-Rhine. I will probably be back in 2014 for the 8th Annual GoOtr5k. Race Results.

No comments: