Sunday, August 26, 2012

Friendship City 5k Race Recap

The Friendship City 5k Run Walk was one of the few races this past weekend and raises funds for the City of Erlanger Step Forward program to make Erlanger a more walkable community and connecting people through physical activity. This was the 9th year for the race, but the first time that I ran it. I was deciding between this race and the Vevay River Run which is part of the Swiss Wine Festival at Vevay Indiana. Vevay was an hour drive and Erlanger Ky was about 15 minutes so I went with less driving and less stress.
The race started at the Erlanger Branch of the Kenton County Library. They had over 100 runners and walkers for the race. Race Day Registration was $15. If you wanted a shirt, it was an extra 5 dollars even on race day. Course went through the residential areas of Erlanger and was flat. They had one waterstop on the course and the miles were marked but no mile timers. Normally not a problem, but my watch broke Saturday so I had no watch to keep track of my time. Post race featured bagels from Panera, bananas, water and chocolate milk. The chocolate milk was a nice addition and a favorite postrace drink of most runners. It also featured door prizes during the awards ceremony. Overall, it was a nice casual relaxed race with a flat course. I do not know if I will do it next year as there are almost 150 other races in Greater Cincinnati to run. For race results, visit www.runningtime.net.

No comments: