Sunday, July 21, 2013

Running on the River 5k and 10k Race Recap

The Running on the River 5k and 10k is part of the Augusta Riverfest Regatta which was this past weekend and raises funds for the Saint Augustine School in Augusta. This was the second year for the race. After having a decent time at last year's race, needing a race to continue the tristate run of Ohio, Kentucky and Indiana, I decided to do this one again and also check out the Regatta. Like last year, race registration was at the Augusta Riverview Park which is on the east side of Augusta. Race Day registration was $20 which included a shirt. They had about 60 runners and walkers for the race in sunny and warm conditions. The race had a 5k or 10k option. Since I had run little, I chose the 5k option which was flat unlike the 10k which includes a 1 mile climb up a steep hill. The 5k course changed from last year in that the 5k no longer went on Riverside Drive, one of the more scenic parts of the course and was a bit of a downer for most runners. One of the challenges in doing a race in a small town is that you need to be on the lookout for cars as traffic control is done by volunteers. Whether cars will respect a volunteer for traffic control is an adventure. It was not a problem. Post race was bottled water, gatorade and I did not see any food. Afterward, I checked out the Riverfest Regatta and the town of Augusta. I do not know if I will be back next year as there a few other races on the same weekend that I would like to try.

No comments: