Monday, July 15, 2013

Sayler Park Run Race Recap

The Sayler Park Run is in its 18th year and goes through the tree lined streets of Sayler Park on the West Side of Cincinnati. For a long time, it was the only race on the West Side of Cincinnati and usually averaged about 200-300 runners.I first ran this race in 2002 or 2003. I last ran it maybe in 2008. The race benefits the Programs at the Sayler Park Recreation Center and is hosted by the center which means real restrooms rather than the portolets that you see at most races. I was coming off an injury and my sister talked me into the doing the race due to the Race Day Registration Price of $10. If you wanted a shirt, you could get a cotton one for $10 but I opted out of the shirt since I have so many of them. Conditions were sunny but cool with temperatures maybe in the 70's for the 300 runners and walkers who decided to run this morning. The course seemed the same from the last time that I ran it. You start in front of the Sayler Park School on Home City Avenue next to the Recreation Center and finish in front of the school. I do not remember much about the course except for the fact that it was mostly flat with one uphill and one downhill. I remember points of interests like the start, the golf course, the statue of Tecumseh, and the finish but not the route which is unusual. I do remember the starter who would make Stacy Osborne proud. He started the race exactly at 9:00 whether you were at the start or not. I was not. I ran it in about 32 minutes but I have to check the results to be sure. Post race was nutrition bars, water, pop, hamburgers. I did not have time to stay for the awards as it seems like they take awhile to do the awards due to the fact that when you finish you get a finish card that you need to turn in. I did not have time to stay as I needed to be somewhere at noon. Overall, I liked this race due to the price and they added to the post race experience from when I last ran it. The only negative is if you do not live on the West Side, it is an out of the way race to get to. Race Results were not posted at the City of Cincinnati website but I will check later this week.

No comments: