Monday, October 05, 2015

Smiles and Miles In Honor of Marie Schaffstein 5k Race Recap

 The Smiles and Miles 5k In Honor of Marie Schaffstein is done in the memory of Marie Schaffstein and raises funds for St Agnes School. Marie Schaffstein was a 17 year old student at Notre Dame Academy and was killed in an automobile accident in 2010. This was the 5th year for the race, and the first time that I ran it.  I decided to do this race since Ft. Wright Kentucky is about 15 minutes from my home, it was in the afternoon at 4:00 PM so there was no need to get up early, and it had been about 5-6 years since I ran in the Devou Park and Park Hills area.
 The race started and finished at St. Agnes Church in Ft. Wright Kentucky.  I arrived early enough to get a parking spot at the church. Parking was cramped at the church due to their Oktoberfest on Friday and Saturday and the race on Sunday.  If I needed to, I could have parked at either Covington Catholic or across the street. They had about 300 runners and walkers. Race Day Registration was $30 which did not include a shirt but they gave you two food and drink tickets. Course went through the residential areas of  Ft. Wright, Park Hills and parts of Covington as it went through part of Devou Park. It was a hilly course but there are far worse hills to run in the area than what was on the course(I ran cross country at Covington Catholic a long time ago so I am quite familiar with the area's hills). They had one waterstop on the course and the miles were marked with volunteers reading off the times.
Post race like most races featured bananas and water.  The food and drink tickets entitled you to hamburgers, hot dogs, sub sandwiches from Sub Station II, Skyline Chili, sweet treats like cookies and cupcakes, and chicken fried rice from Oriental Wok.  I used the tickets for the sub sandwiches and the chicken fried rice.  Overall, it was a nice race with a course different from the ones that you get today. I may do it again next year depending on my schedule.  For race results, visit www.sprunning.com. View Results.

No comments: